As the coronavirus continues to spread and disrupt travel and daily life across the Unites States and the world, we are making public our efforts to protect our staff, our guests and our Outer Banks community. We are so grateful to be able to welcome our guests back to Hatteras Island, however it is important for all to understand that your Hatteras Island vacation will be a little different this year. We appreciate you helping in our efforts to keep our community and our guests safe.
For visitors preparing to visit the Outer Banks, Dare County has prepared some guest guidelines and we encourage you to review and practice these throughout your stay.
As our visitors prepare for vacation, it is important to remember that the coronavirus is not over. There are still State restrictions in effect to protect everyone’s safety that may be different from the way you have vacationed on the Outer Banks in the past, including:
- -Masks or cloth face coverings are REQUIRED in public places in North Carolina, including all areas of Dare County (indoors and outdoors) where social distancing is difficult.
- -Social distancing guidelines are still in place.
- -Gatherings are limited to 10 people or less.
- -Restaurants have seating capacities of 50% or less. Most are doing take-out.
- -Businesses, including grocery stores, have limits on the number of people allowed in the store at any given time based on square footage.
- -Club Hatteras will not open until Phase 3 of the North Carolina phased re-opening plan.
Also, remember that the CDC recommends not to travel if you are sick or were recently exposed (within 14 days) to COVID-19.
We recommend bringing personal protective equipment, such as masks, with you; local supplies are limited.
INFORMATION ON TRAVEL RESTRICTIONS AND TRAVEL BANS
- -Travel Insurance does NOT offer coverage. Diagnosis, loss of job (not furlough) and quarantined preventing travel does have coverage with proper documentation.
- -Dare County is not under travel restriction so refunds are not automatically issued.
- -The standard cancellation policy does apply. https://www.hatterasrealty.com/rental#Cancellations
- -We recognize that this is an unusual situation so the $200 cancellation fee will be waived if you site that your cancellation is due to a travel ban or quarantine.
- -Send your cancellation notice to email@example.com . Phone volume is incredibly high so please send emails instead of calling.
- -Transfers are not an option but bookings are coming at a high rate. The sooner you cancel your reservation the better the opportunity for the week to rebook.
CLEANING PROCEDURES & SAFETY
Hatteras Realty's professional housekeeping team upholds the highest cleaning standards on the Outer Banks. Our cleaners must pass a rigorous, annual training program, which now includes additional detailed protocol on sanitation and safety related to COVID-19. Our homes are professionally cleaned between each guest using CDC and EPA-approved products and chemicals that are documented to kill the COVID-19 virus. In addition to our standard cleaning guidelines, high-touch surfaces throughout the property receive additional sanitizing. Among these surfaces are:
- -all fixtures
- -door knobs/handles
- -light switches
- -hand rails
- -in-house phone receivers
- -remote controls
- -large kitchen appliance handles
- -small kitchen appliances
- -gaming equitment
- -elevator buttons
- Linens and towels are washed in a professional facility after each guest use, but you are of course welcome to bring your own.
- Bed making will not be provided
- Carpet cleaning and air filter replacement is done on a regular schedule
We take the cleaning and care of our homes extremely seriously and our guest feedback reflects satisfaction and appreciation.
Should a maintenance concern arise during your stay, please let us know. Be aware that our team is responding to maintenance concerns in a prioritized manner. Should a staff member need to come to your home during your stay, they will be wearing a mask. We request that they be given a minimum of 6-feet of space and that the home have a minimal number of guests present, if possible. We do request that anyone present when our staff arrives should please wear a mask as well.
We have adjusted our check-in procedures to minimize personal contact. Our private vacation homes feature keyless entry, allowing us to send guests their key code and send them straight to their rental home without stopping into the office.
At this time, we continue to accept new reservations for travel beginning May 16, 2020. This may change as this situation remains fluid. If your vacation is or becomes affected by COVID-related restrictions to Dare County, Hatteras Realty is happy to work with you to move your reservation to a different week in the same home. We are also issuing refunds when a move is not possible.
STANDARD CANCELLATION POLICY
For guests needing to cancel their reservations, first notify us in writing as soon as possible by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make reasonable effort to re-rent the property. If we re-rent your cottage, all monies (less a cancellation fee of $200 plus tax and the travel insurance premium, if applicable) will be returned. Once you have submitted your written notice of cancellation, next you should contact your travel insurance company, if applicable, to file your claim.
If you need to change your vacation dates, then at least 30 days or more prior to check-in*, your dates may be switched to a week of equal value or rent can be applied towards a week of greater rental value within the same property/same year, subject to a transfer fee of $90 plus tax. Please contact our office for policy on switching from a higher rate to lower rate.
*Please see policy noted above for reservations affected by current restrictions.
Our Travel Insurance provider is Red Sky. The travel insurance policy language reimburses guests, traveling companions, and family members that must cancel due to sickness and quarantine:
- Your, a Family Member’s, a Traveling Companion’s, a Service Animal’s, or a Business Partner’s or a Traveling Companion’s Family Member’s covered Sickness or Injury, that: a) occurs before departure on Your Trip; b) requires Medical Treatment at the time of cancellation; and c) as certified by a Physician, results in medical restrictions so disabling as to cause Your Trip to be cancelled; or
- You or Your Traveling Companion being hijacked, quarantined, required to serve on a jury (notice of jury duty must be received after Your Effective Date), served with a court order to appear as a witness in a legal action in which You or Your Traveling Companion is not a party (except law enforcement officers);
For specific guidelines or necessary documentation to be covered under this provision of the policy, please contact Red Sky Travel Insurance.
LIMITED OFFICE ACCESS
The Hatteras Realty office remains open and staffed, however we ask that all guests, owners and vendors restrict visits to our office unless it is absolutely necessary. If your question or concern can be addressed over the phone, we request that you contact us at 800-428-8372.
Updated Office Hours:
Monday through Saturday: 9am-3pm
Masks are now required for individuals in a public setting in Dare County. The geography and landscape of the Cape Hatteras National Seashore and the Outer Banks allows for plenty of social distancing and spreading out. We encourage guests visiting our community to enjoy their stay and visit local establishments while still observing recommendations put in place by the CDC, including wearing masks.
IF YOU ARE SICK, STAY HOME
It is critical that any guests or owners who are ill or who may have been exposed to COVID-19 do not visit the Outer Banks. Our area has limited medical facilities and cannot accommodate an outbreak or influx of illness. We sincerely appreciate you observing this request to help protect our community.
CDC website: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
Rental Policies: https://www.hatterasrealty.com/rental
Travel Insurance: http://www.redskyinsurance.com/