20 Nov 2019
Hatteras Island is known for its fresh seafood. Our local commercial fishermen bring in the goodies from our surrounding waters from fish to clams and oysters. During the holiday season, some of the most traditional foods are redesigned with a Hatteras flare. And lets us let you in on a little island secret.....the ladies of the island are the best cooks on the east coast! Below is a favorite holiday side - Oyster Dressing - which has many variations. We've chosen Mrs. Billie Swain's recipe from Hatteras Village. You won't be disappointed in making this yummy stuffing for your next Thanksgiving feast.
Mom’s Oyster Dressing
By: B. Swain - Keeping the Faith Cookbook by Hatteras United Methodist Church
Makes: 8 Servings *Half the recipe for 4 servings*
- 2 ½ Sticks of Butter
- 2: 8oz Bags of Pepperidge Farm Stuffing
- 1 Large Onion, Chopped
- 1 Pt. Oysters
- 4 Stalks of Celery, Chopped
- Melt Butter in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add celery and onions. Cook until tender.
- Add 2 cups of water to skillet.
- Add in both bags of stuffing.
- Add in oysters and stir until combined.
- Season with salt, pepper, and sage to taste.
- Place mixture into greased baking dish.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes or until done.